Updating Your GuideStar Profile
The data displayed in Build Montana about individual nonprofit organizations (from the Donate and Nonprofit Search buttons), comes from GuideStar.org, a website that aggregates information about nonprofits from IRS data and the individual nonprofits. Nonprofits, you can easily update your information on GuideStar to ensure those who find your organization through Build Montana and several other national sites, will have the most up-to-date information about your organization and your programs.
Any nonprofit can update its nonprofit report on GuideStar for free. To ensure your data is ready for Build Montana, update your contact, mission, programs, and financial information on GuideStar. To qualify for the GuideStar Exchange seal (see Benefits ), you will need to have this information ready to enter.
- Log in or register on GuideStar.org.
- Click on the yellow "Update Nonprofit Report" button at the top of the page.
- Click on your organization's name. (If you do not currently have permission, follow the instructions to "Request Permission.")
- Go to the "Review Changes" tab on the bottom left-hand side of your GuideStar Exchange Form.
- Fill in the required fields in the form, which are indicated by red asterisks.
- To obtain the GuideStar Exchange seal for your profile page, complete the fields with two red asterisks.
- Click the "Save and Continue" button at the bottom of each page after you have added or changed information in the form.
- Once you have completed all required fields, be sure to click the "Send to GuideStar" button on the "Review Changes" page to ensure that your changes are posted to the site.
- For additional information, visit the GuideStar website on How to Update your Nonprofit Report
GuideStar Exchange Benefits:
When you update your GuideStar Exchange profile, the information you provide appears in the Build Montana Search and Donate information for your organization. It also appears on our other giving sites, including NetworkforGood.org and JustGive.org, donor-advised fund sites, and many foundation sites. By entering all the required GuideStar fields, your organization will also get access to fundraising tools, discounts on fundraising training, and a free one-year subscription to GuideStar Premium (a $1,500 value).
With GuideStar Premium, you can:
Learn more about the GuideStar Exchange
- Find foundations that fund programs like yours—use GuideStar Premium's advanced search to find the funders most likely to support your mission and programs.
- See who leads your peer organizations—your next major donor may already be on the board of a nonprofit (or, more likely, several nonprofits) like yours. Get several years' worth of key officer information in GuideStar Premium's comprehensive nonprofit reports.
- View annual reports—GuideStar Premium gives you access to the annual reports your peers have uploaded to our site—and the lists of foundation, corporate, and individual sponsors that they contain.
GuideStar Exchange Requirements:
GuideStar will display the GuideStar Exchange seal on your GuideStar page if you have entered the following information:
- Key Documents
- Annual Report(s)
- Financial Statement(s) - Audited Financial Statement, and Financial Compilation, or completion of the Basic Financial Statement section of the online form to update report pages
- Auditing Company
- Did an auditor give an unqualified opinion?
- Does the CEO/CFO sign off on all financial documents?
- Senior Management Team Members' Names and Titles
- Whistle Blowers
- Document Destruction
If you have questions about how Build Montana utilizes GuideStar data or how your information is displayed within Build Montana, contact us using the email link below.
If you have questions about updating your GuideStar Exchange information, contact GuideStar or view the GuideStar Exchange FAQ's.