Public Policy Agenda
MNA's public policy agenda represents our long-term framework for addressing public policy that impacts and strengthens nonprofits in Montana. The following public policy objectives represent the core focus areas of MNA’s public policy agenda and were developed in consultation with MNA membership and the broader Montana nonprofit sector. Specific public policy initiatives and/or legislative strategies are designed to move forward the following agenda items.
Best Practices and Accountability
- Enhance the ability of Montana nonprofits to function at the highest levels of integrity, efficiency, and transparency and be accountable to the public they serve.
- Preserve and enact policies that incentivize citizens to donate to Montana charitable organizations
Tax Treatment of Nonprofits
- Promote and advance policies that preserve tax exemption of nonprofit organizations.
Nonprofit - Government Relations
- Improve and strengthen the interface between Montana nonprofits and state and federal government agencies and processes.
- Expand and strengthen incentives for people to work in the Montana nonprofit sector as professional staff or volunteers.
Nonprofit Capacity Building
- Increase funding of the nonprofit sector to expand training, management assistance, and organizational development resources available to Montana nonprofits.
Advocacy and Lobbying Rights
- Protect the advocacy rights of all 501(c)(3) organizations and strengthen the ability of Montana nonprofits to engage in the public policy arena.