MNA is hiring for two dynamic positions!
Census 2020 Coordinator
On April 1, 2020 the United States will conduct a census of all individuals residing in the country. The population secures critical data used for community planning and informs decisions about funding and resources in and for Montana.
Montana has numerous hard to count (HTC) communities and population groups which were either undercounted in 2010 or are highly at risk for being undercounted. Every individual missed in the decennial count represents a loss of $20,000 in funding and services in Montana over the next decade.
Nonprofits have a significant role to play in helping Montana obtain a fair, accurate and complete count by building awareness of Census 2020 and participating in get-out-the-count events. State and local governments across the country are looking to local nonprofits to create awareness of the importance of participating and encourage Census participation on April 1, 2020. MNA is leading efforts to engage the nonprofit community in Montana in Census 2020 activities by providing training and resources. This temporary full-time position reports to the MNA Executive Director.
Position responsibilities include:
- In collaboration with the MNA team, develop and implement a workplan to engage Montana’s nonprofit community in securing a fair, accurate and complete Census count.
- Plan and carry out informational sessions and events for nonprofit coalitions, nonprofit leaders and staff to learn about and strategize their roles in Census 2020.
- Plan and carry out MNA Census -related meetings, including logistics, invitations, agenda, minutes, etc.
- Ensure resources are available to nonprofits to assist with Census 2020, especially in HTC communities.
- Oversee a mini-grant application process and the distribution of mini-grant funding to support awareness and get-out-the-count events in HTC communities.
- Build connections and relationships with local Complete Count Committees in HTC communities to support nonprofit engagement with those Committees.
- Perform public speaking as needed to build awareness and provide education about nonprofit engagement in Census 2020.
- Work closely with MNA’s Communications staff persons to ensure Census 2020 is fully integrated into MNA’s overall communications plan and strategies in 2020.
- Self-starter with experience in community organizing, coalition building and/or volunteer engagement efforts.
- Collaborative leadership style
- Clear written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to organize and work rapidly to meet designated goals within the timeline developed
- Ability to engage and mobilize stakeholders
- Familiarity with the diversity in Montana’s nonprofit community
- Ability to problem solve as barriers are encountered
- Valid driver’s license
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products
This is an hourly position with a wage range from $22-$26/hour. Position is full-time, temporary from January through June, 2020.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and three references to Barb Knutson at [email protected] by December 20th, 2019. No phone calls, please.
Montana Nonprofit Association (MNA) believes Montana’s vitality and livability depend on a thriving nonprofit sector. We are working toward a future where nonprofits have the resources needed to fulfill their missions, are strategically connected with one another and with partners in business and government, and are recognized and celebrated for their contributions to the quality of life in Montana’s communities. Founded as a membership association in 2001, MNA achieves its mission through advocacy and public policy, access to affordable products and services, organizational development and training, research and information sharing, and network building. Representing the richness and diversity of Montana’s charitable nonprofit community, MNA’s 700 members address a broad array of missions, come from all four corners of the state and everywhere between, and range in size from the smallest all-volunteer nonprofits to some of the largest organizations in Montana. MNA embodies "Many Missions, One Voice".
We are looking for a self-starting, motivated team member who excels at customer relations, marketing, and networking. Our Membership Manager will be responsible for all aspects of nonprofit and affiliate member relations as well as the management and administration of our strategic partnerships. We are seeking a collaborative, team-oriented person to lead our member relations efforts, including strategizing, planning for, and implementing activities and services that provide value to members and promote membership retention and growth. Additionally, we are seeking a teammate to understand, articulate, and respond to the business needs of Montana’s nonprofits while enhancing MNA’s earned revenues through business development and sponsorships. This person must have a solid understanding and appreciation for Montana’s nonprofit sector.
- Demonstrated ability to provide quality customer service and to lead and balance work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Comfortable writing strategic plans, analyzing markets and marketing potential.
- Adept at making a sales pitch and recruiting new corporate partners.
- Ability to nurture ongoing relationships with all members, nonprofit and affiliate, to ensure solid retention each year.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, flexible and collaborative with an ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Articulate and comfortable picking up the phone and calling people to track down information, follow up on lapsed memberships, market memberships, and respond to inquiries.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and positive, can-do attitude.
- Must be willing to travel, meet with individuals and groups face-to-face, and be comfortable communicating with a diverse array of existing and potential members.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Commitment to MNA’s mission.
TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee all aspects of developing, strengthening and maintaining the membership network throughout the state, including developing long and short term membership development benchmarks and budgets; strategically planning for and undertaking marketing activities, including direct mail campaigns, use of social media and website content; leading MNA’s member relations efforts, ensuring and administering, interpreting, and responding to program evaluation and development.
- Ensure a culture of service to members is preserved and promoted throughout MNA, that membership activities are fully integrated into all aspects of MNA’s work and that MNA’s strategic plan, services and programs reflect MNA’s commitment to understanding and increasing member value. We are seeking a champion for “whole org membership”.
- Respond to inquiries from current and prospective members and track results.
- Assist in the creation of print and digital marketing materials.
- Plan and manage membership events in coordination with other staff, including special workshops, networking events, MNA’s Annual Conference and other trainings.
- Ensure the MNA’s membership database functions optimally for the organization; recommend strategies and solutions to staff for using the database to achieve programmatic goals; provide staff training as needed; plan for and implement records management, data collection, technology and reporting that supports MNA’s membership goals.
Business Products for Members
- Develop, negotiate, implement, maintain and evaluate the MNA’s menu of special member services (e.g. health insurance, unemployment insurance, etc.) to meet the existing and emerging needs of nonprofit member organizations.
- Develop and carry out promotional and marketing activities related to business products for members.
- Negotiate and monitor contracts with vendors and business partners while maximizing the value for members, managing compliance with contract terms and monitoring the earned revenues from business products.
- Act as a liaison between vendors and nonprofit organizations by initiating relationships and solving problems.
- Respond to member and other nonprofit inquiries and provide technical assistance where appropriate.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and three references to Barb Knutson at [email protected] by Wednesday, December 4th. No phone calls please.