- This event has passed.
Advocacy and Lobbying for Nonprofits
November 10, 2022 @ 11:30 am – 1:00 pm
All you need to know to prepare for a successful session and year. Join MNA for this three part series to prepare you and your organization to effectively and legally advocate and lobby during the 2023 Montana Legislative session.
Sessions & Objectives
Planning for the legislative session and connecting with candidates
The election is around the corner, and it’s not too late to reach out and ensure the candidates are aware of your mission and how it contributes to your community’s vitality and quality of life. This session focuses on relationship building, which is a foundational component of effective advocacy.
Participants will explore:
- Overview of the advocacy cycle
- The legal ins and outs of engaging with candidates
- The intersect between your mission and the candidate
- Positioning your organization as a resource
- How to welcome winning candidates (and say thanks to others)
- Planning for the legislative session
Stay legal and lobby
In this webinar we will overview how to create and implement a lobbying and advocacy plan while staying legally compliant.
Participants will learn:
- The legal parameters for lobbying state elected officials
- Lobbying and the IRS
- The role of the Montana Commissioner of Political Practices
- The elements of an advocacy plan
Montana Legislative Tips
The Montana legislative session moves quickly and includes both predictability and rapid change. This webinar will focus exclusively on the legislative session: the calendar and website, how and when to be a presence in hearings, and the significance of working the halls outside of hearings.
Participants will explore:
- Navigating the leg.mt.gov website
- Significant dates on the legislative calendar
- How to learn more about proposed legislation
- Communicating effectively with elected officials and administration during the Session
- Engaging board members, constituents and other stakeholders in advocacy
All sessions will be recorded and available for registered attendees to access, along with all session resources, for six months after the event.
Prices include all course sessions.
Whole Org Participation: Invite your whole team (staff & board!) for one flat rate
- $150 Whole Org Registration for MNA Members
- $300 Whole Org Registration for Non MNA Members
Individual Participation: Register for a single user
- $95 MNA Members
- $190 Non MNA Members
***Members of other state nonprofit associations qualify for the MNA Member price!
Presenter: Liz Moore
Liz Moore, MNM, has been the Executive Director for Montana Nonprofit Association (MNA) since 2011. During that time she has lobbied and advocated extensively at the state and federal levels on behalf of Montana’s nonprofit sector. In addition to working with MNA’s Public Policy Council to lead MNA’s policy efforts, she serves on the Board of the National Council of Nonprofits. In that role she serves as the chair of the National Council’s Public Policy Committee. Liz is also an adjunct professor for the University of Montana, teaching Nonprofit Policy and Advocacy in the Masters of Public Administration Program.
Do you have an event that you feel would be beneficial for MNA members?
Use our community event submission form to add your event: